This family-favorite recipe for coffee cake is filled with blueberries and fresh nutmeg, then topped with a crumbly coating.
I am thrilled to announce this is my first installment of the Family Recipe Project.
In short, I realized that the food I make and the food I eat is 90% of the time related to family. It’s filled with nostalgia from a vacation, inspired by something my aunt made for a family party, or a favorite recipe my mom makes.
This coffee cake is part of that third category. My mom’s recipe for this blueberry coffee cake, handwritten on an index card full of notes and stained with vanilla, had been an all-time favorite. I was craving it so badly that I took a picture of the recipe card last time we were out to visit them in Utah. Less than a week after getting home I was making it.
This coffee cake is at its best straight from the oven with a cup of tea or coffee. But don’t worry, it’s also great as an afternoon snack when you need a little sweetness in your life.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp packed orange zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9” x 9” pan and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and orange zest.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and nutmeg. Using a fork, cut in butter until the size of small peas.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients and stir until blended. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine all topping ingredients. Pour topping evenly over coffee cake.
- Bake 60-70 minutes until fully cooked but not browned.
*Make your own buttermilk by measuring one cup of milk and adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let it sit for 5 minutes and it’s ready to use!