I now present… (drumroll please) the crowd-pleasing chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting!
Rich chocolate cake with a fluffy peanut butter buttercream frosting (and some chopped up peanut butter cups on top for good measure).
There is no combination greater than chocolate and peanut butter. As evidenced by my frequent recipes featuring the dynamic duo: chocolate peanut butter tart with espresso crust, mini chocolate peanut butter cupcakes, and finally this chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting.
The cake recipe is adapted from my all-time favorite chocolate cake in the original Barefoot Contessa cookbook, and the frosting is the same frosting I used in my mini cupcakes. Put the two together and it’s a match made in heaven.
Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
A rich chocolate cake with a fluffy peanut butter buttercream.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 servings
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk (see note)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 c confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c creamy peanut butter
- 5 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1/3 c heavy cream
Optional: chocolate peanut butter cups, chopped, for decorating
- Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Butter the exposed paper and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter, and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- On a low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture in thirds, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until well blended.
- Separate into the 2 prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make the frosting: Place the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, occasionally scraping down the bowl. Slowly add the cream and beat on high speed until the frosting smooth and fluffy.
- When the cake is completely cool, frost and sprinkle with chopped chocolate peanut butter cups.
Make your own buttermilk by pouring 1 cup milk into a glass liquid measuring cup. Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice, stir to combine, and let stand for 5 minutes. Use the milk as a buttermilk replacement.