Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Mini Cupcakes
Rich chocolate cupcakes topped with the softest, fluffiest peanut butter frosting.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 48 mini cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c buttermilk*
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 c confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c creamy peanut butter
- 5 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1/3 c heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter, melted
- 1/2 c peanut butter cups, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two mini muffin pans with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk and stir only until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the liners, filling only halfway (seriously!). Bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Place the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, occasionally scraping down the bowl. Slowly add the cream and beat on high speed until the frosting smooth and fluffy.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, top with frosting and (if desired) chopped peanut butter cups and drizzle with melted peanut butter.
*if you don’t have buttermilk in the house (I never do) you can make your own by combining 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp white vinegar in a container or small bowl, let sit for 5 minutes, then use!