As soon as the weather cooled down enough to start baking, I had one plan – give banana bread a facelift with of candied ginger and semisweet chocolate.
Comforting and sweet with chocolate (making it a perfect morning match with coffee) and tangy and energized with ginger, it hits on every flavor I’m looking for in the morning.
My standard banana muffin recipe is still my most-used recipe card (I should seriously have it memorized by now), but sometimes you just need to get a little fancy. That’s where this ginger and chocolate banana bread comes in.
Now, I know the addition of ginger is a little out-there. But, even Dan loved this and he typically doesn’t enjoy ginger anything. I’m calling that a major win. I also may start sneaking candied ginger into other things now that he liked this…
Ginger and Chocolate Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups extra-ripe banana, mashed (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the banana, butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on top, then gently mix dry ingredients together before mixing into the wet ingredients. Once well combined, add the chocolate chips and chopped candied ginger. Stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 55 – 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, before removing.
My favorite way to eat this is warmed in the morning with a hot cup of black tea.