- Prep Time: 2h
- Cook Time: 5m
- Total Time: 2h
- Serves: 8 people
- 1 1/2 lb of ground veal or Italian meat blend (beef, pork, and veal)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup finely chopped carrot
- ⅓ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 c beef broth
- 1 container Pomi tomatoes, chopped
- 1 container Pomi tomatoes, strained
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 c freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- 16 egg yolks, room temperature
- 3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. oil
Make the Sauce
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat 2 tsp olive oil until hot and add meat. Cook until lightly browned but still pink. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir until combined. Add wine, broth, tomatoes, and spices and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally 1 hour. Season to taste.
Make the Pasta
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, combine egg yolks and flour until combined. While mixing, add oil one tablespoon at a time. If necessary, slowly add water to help the dough come together.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment and knead 3-5 minutes, until smooth. The dough will be dry but will hold together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Cook and Serve
- When almost ready to serve, heat a large pot of salted water to boiling. Press pasta using the roller instructions and cut into fettucini sized pieces. For me, this was pressed to #5 thickness.
- Add pasta and cook 3 minutes. Serve topped with sauce, parmesan cheese, and parsley, if desired.