It’s the question I get most often when I mention I started a food blog. Why’d you name it Salt Jar?
There’s a lot of reasons, but here are the top ones in no particular order:
- The domain and trademark was available (that’s a big deal).
- I love pinching salt and adding it to whatever I’m cooking like BAM!
- My grandfather is an incredible cook, and he has a big, blue salt jar that looks like a pipe that Mario would jump into. It has been on their kitchen island for as long as I can remember
- Salt is essential to cooking, it’s been around since as early as neolithic times. Almost every recipe requires some kind of salt.
- The chef-y action of sprinkling salt on food makes me feel confident in whatever I’m making.
- My initials are SEL, and sel is salt in French! My grandmother is French and it’s always been the culture (and food) I feel most connected to.