Even in cool weather, there is nothing better than curling up with a bowl of chai latte ice cream. Warm spices like cardamom and cinnamon make this ice cream the perfect pick any time of the year.
In our house, we eat a lot of ice cream. And I mean A LOT of ice cream. There is always at least a gallon of Turkey Hill cookies and cream in our freezer (plus a few pints of Ben & Jerry’s).
All this to say, I consider myself somewhat of a professional when it comes to ice cream. This summer, I got myself a super inexpensive ice cream maker from Amazon and learned how easy it is to make at home.
After I took these photos, I handed Dan the ice cream code and asked Dan if he liked it. His response? “You need to take this cone away from me before I eat the whole thing!”Print
Chai Latte Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream, separated
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- In a medium saucepan, add milk, 1 cup heavy cream, all spices, and vanilla. Warm over medium heat, whisking until the sugar is dissolved and the milk is warm to the touch. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl and pour the warm milk mixture over top, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and warm over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula.
- Once the mixture is thick enough to coat the spatula, pour into a blender. Add the additional heavy cream and blend until smooth.
- Chill until cooled, at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s directions. Put the ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze until solid.
Using this ice cream maker makes the job quick and easy!