Sweet vanilla bean ice cream is the perfect match for a ribbon of tart morello cherry jam. This refreshing summer treat is made with Crofter’s Organic Morello Cherry Premium Spread.
Summer screams for cool treats like ice cream. There’s a saying about that, right? Now that it’s August, I dream about enjoying ice cream each and every day.
I made this ice cream with Crofter’s Organic Morello Cherry Premium Spread, which is my new jam of choice. It’s tart and sweet at the same time, certified organic, and non-GMO verified. Crofter’s Organic has been a family-owned company for 30 years and is available everywhere.
Any jam you like will work in this recipe, but I recommend Crofter’s Organic Morello Cherry Premium Spread because it uses real fruit and has 33% less sugar than standard jams and jellies. Morello cherries are known to be super sour unless they are perfectly ripe. This jam uses the best cherries at the perfect point of ripeness so the flavor is tart but balanced. That makes for the perfect combination with rich and sweet ice cream!
Types of Ice Cream
There are two types of ice cream:
- French-style ice cream has a custard base made with eggs which make it extra rich and creamy.
- Philadelphia-style ice cream does not include eggs and is simple to make quickly and easily.
This recipe is Philadelphia-style ice cream since it does not have eggs. Since it’s so effortless to make, you wouldn’t have a problem whipping it up in an afternoon!
Equipment to Make Homemade Ice Cream
If you’re new to making ice cream, you may think you need lots of fancy equipment or tools. It’s much more simple than that. Spend $40 on a basic ice cream maker from Amazon and you’re good to go.
Making a Perfect Ribbon of Jam
It couldn’t be easier to create bold and thick ribbons of jam in ice cream. Simply lay 1/3 of the freshly churned ice cream in its container followed by a layer with a few tablespoons of jam. Spread the jam across and ice cream and repeat. When you scoop, it will create a beautiful ribbon!
Looking for more ice cream? Try my chai latte ice cream.Print
Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 oz Crofters Morello Cherry Spread
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup heavy cream, sugar, and salt. Add vanilla bean, seeds, and extract. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 cup heavy cream and milk.
- Chill the ice cream in the refrigerator, at least 3 hours, until ready to churn. Churn according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Layer 1/3 of the ice cream in your ice cream container, then add 2 tablespoons of jam. Spread the jam out the best you can into a thin layer. Repeat until you have 3 layers with jam on top. This will make a ripple effect when you scoop.
- Freeze until solid.