The ultimate chocolate buttercream cake will become your go-to option for birthday parties, holidays, and any other night when you need a little chocolate fix.
If anyone ever needs to make me a cake – make this one!
This is a combination of all my favorite chocolate cake recipes, and the only one I ever make.
This is a treat-yo-self kind of cake.
Look at all that chocolate frosting, but please don’t lick the screen.Print
Chocolate Buttercream Cake
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk,* room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons freshly brewed coffee
- 15 oz semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans, line with parchment paper, grease again, and flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars on high speed until light. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture to the batter followed by 1/3 of the flour mixture. Repeat until all ingredients are combined and fully blended.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool fully before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water until they are warm to the touch.
- Whisk the egg whites on high speed until the meringue is cool and holds a stiff peak.
- Add the butter, slowly, while beating on medium speed. Add the melted chocolate, vanilla, and espresso. Mix until completely blended.
- Frost the cake with a healthy amount of chocolate buttercream.
* if you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup of milk