Sometimes you just need chocolate. That’s why these cupcakes were created.
If you’re like me and believe that chocolate has magical healing powers, this recipe is for you. Cupcakes with less guilt (see butter note below) and a frosting that will take you to cloud 9.
I like this cupcake batter because there is NO butter. Using melted coconut oil takes away any need for traditional fat, and leaves a rich and unexpected coconut taste. These perfect little cupcakes are light and fluffy, with lots of flavor.
If you think the lack of butter might make the cupcakes taste different from what you’re used to, don’t worry, the frosting has enough butter to make up for it.
Now this frosting. The frosting of the Gods. Get the recipe here in my chocolate buttercream cake recipe.
This is the only chocolate frosting recipe I ever use and ever will use. It is perfect in every way, with a balance of coffee, chocolate, and rich buttery goodness. I always make a little extra to keep in the fridge for snacking the next few days. Don’t judge.
Feel free to sprinkle decorative toppings on top of the frosting. Golden sprinkles, coconut shavings, crushed Oreos, the possibilities are endless.Print
Chocolate Kahlua Coconut Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 cupcakes 1x
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Kahlua
- 1/2 c buttermilk*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla together until smooth. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together, then mix in half the buttermilk. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk and mix only until combined.
- Pour batter into the cupcake tin, filling only half way. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting with chocolate buttercream.