Here you have it: rich chocolate mini cupcakes topped with the softest, fluffiest peanut butter frosting. By the time you’re done, you’ll be licking it out of the bowl.
With some peanut butter cups and a drizzle of peanut butter on top (for good measure), these mini cupcakes are perfect for any occasion and any time of year.
There’s just something about the combination of peanut butter with chocolate. Maybe it’s all the chocolate peanut butter eggs at Easter-time, maybe it’s a nearly national obsession with Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, or maybe it’s the ideal salty-sweet ratio.
To make them look even more elegant, the cupcakes are topped with chopped peanut butter cups and a drizzle of melted peanut butter. You won’t regret this last step – it makes them look like they came straight from a cupcake shop. No one will believe you that they came from your kitchen! Plus… it’s kinda fun.
The photos and recipe are intended for mini cupcakes, but I’ve used this recipe for full-sized cupcakes, too. Just increase the baking time and you’ll be good to go! This recipe makes 48 mini cupcakes or about 15 full-sized cupcakes.
I like the mini size because it makes so many more and you can eat a few without feeling too guilty.
Satisfy all your cravings at once with this highly-requested party dessert that will wow all your guests.Print
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Mini Cupcakes
Rich chocolate cupcakes topped with the softest, fluffiest peanut butter frosting.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 48 mini cupcakes 1x
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c buttermilk*
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 c confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c creamy peanut butter
- 5 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1/3 c heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter, melted
- 1/2 c peanut butter cups, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two mini muffin pans with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk and stir only until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the liners, filling only halfway (seriously!). Bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Place the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, occasionally scraping down the bowl. Slowly add the cream and beat on high speed until the frosting smooth and fluffy.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, top with frosting and (if desired) chopped peanut butter cups and drizzle with melted peanut butter.
*if you don’t have buttermilk in the house (I never do) you can make your own by combining 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp white vinegar in a container or small bowl, let sit for 5 minutes, then use!