Simple crepes topped with sweet caramelized peaches will be your next summertime breakfast craving.
Picture a relaxing Sunday morning with a big cup of coffee and a book. Now add a plate full of crepes topped with caramelized peaches. You didn’t think it could get any better, but it did.
I used the awesome Ergo Spout from Culinesco to make the process of cooking peach crepes quick and easy. This genius contraption screws on to a standard-sized mason jar and makes pouring a breeze.
How to Caramelize Peaches
Caramelizing peach slices takes their sweet flavor to the next level, and is a quick and easy way to add flavor to simple breakfast or dessert crepes.
I find my favorite big and juicy local peaches at the Schober & Son’s stand at the Collingswood Farmer’s Market.
Peaches are delicate, so you don’t want to cook them for long. Just a few minutes in the pan with butter, maple syrup, and a tiny bit of spice will soften them slightly without them getting mushy.
How to Make Crepes
Making crepes can seem intimidating, but with a little bit of practice, you’ll be on your way to crepe glory in no time. Heat a pan over medium heat, grease, and pour in just a little bit of batter. Lift the pan away from the heat and twist to make a paper-thin layer of batter over the bottom of the pan.
Cook until the edges of the crepe are starting to brown, flip, and cook for another minute. Watch this quick YouTube video to watch it in action. This is the video I watched the first time I made crepes, back in 2009.
Crepes can be filled with a multitude of toppings, but I choose to put the peaches on top so they’re easy to cut and eat. A favorite tweak to this recipe is to make it for dessert with whipped cream inside or on top of the crepes!
Crepes with Caramelized Peaches
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 peaches sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Add all crepe ingredients to a medium bowl and mix until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Preheat a medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray and pour in a small amount of batter (1/6 cup was perfect for my size pan). While pouring in the batter, pick the pan up from the heat and tilt until the batter covers the bottom of the ban. Cook until just barely turning brown at the edges and gently flip, cooking again until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside while cooking the peaches.
- In a medium pan, add peaches, butter, maple syrup, and allspice. Cook over medium heat until the syrup has thickened and bubbles, about 5 minutes. Gently stir and add 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- To serve, fold crepes into quarters and top with peaches.