Sweet and sticky fig jam pairs perfectly with tart Dijon mustard and a blend of cheeses for the ultimate grilled cheese experience.
I know some people aren’t a fan of American cheese because it isn’t “real” cheese, but there is nothing better to make the beautiful stretchy cheese-pulls, and it just melts perfectly in a sandwich. This recipe uses a little American cheese balanced with sharp cheddar, a match made in heaven.
One of my secret tricks is using mayonnaise instead of butter or oil (don’t knock it ’till you try it!)Print
Fig Grilled Cheese
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- 4 slices Tuscan bread*
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fig jam
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Preheat a large pan over medium-high heat. Coat one side of each piece of bread with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise.
- Place 2 pieces of bread, mayo side down, in the pan and top each with fig jam and both kinds of cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together both types of Dijon mustard.
- On the remaining bread, coat one side with Dijon mixture and one side with remaining mayonnaise. Place bread on top of cheese with the mayo side up.
- After 3-5 minutes, when bread is darkly toasted and cheese has started to melt, flip each sandwich and cook until second side is now toasted and cheese is fully melted.
*I used the garlic Tuscan bread from Wegmans