A perfect summer dish using grilled beets as the base for a fun and colorful salad. The combination of beets and goat cheese is unexpected and tangy, then add the fresh twist of orange and grapefruit for one incredible bite.
I found these beautiful beets at the Formisano Farms stand at the Collingswood Farmers Market (along with scallions and zucchini). I had no idea what I wanted to do with them, but they were so beautiful and I knew they would be delicious since they were grown with so much love.
In the middle of the heat wave, I wanted to eat the beets but there was no way I was putting on the oven for 30+ minutes to roast them. I realized there’s got to be a way to cook them on the grill. Using indirect heat, these steamed beets were some of the best I’ve ever had.
This salad was inspired by a delicious appetizer I had at a charming cocktail bar while visiting my sister in Charlottesville, VA. It was so good I’ve been thinking about it since (and added a few twists of my own).
Grilled Beet Salad
A colorful beet salad with grapefruit, goat cheese, toasted pistachios, and basil.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 golden beets, scrubbed and peeled
- 1 grapefruit*, sliced into wedges
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted
- 1/4 cup basil, thinly sliced
- lime zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat two grill burners to high.
- Large dice the peeled beets. Place all pieces on a large piece and foil and fold over to create a packet.
- Cook beets in foil over indirect heat (Turn off one burner and place the foil packet of beets over the off burner.) for 25-30 minutes until beets are cooked through.
- Peel and large dice the beets. Place on a plate with orange slices, crumbled goat cheese, basil, and pistachios. Top with lime next and drizzle with olive oil.
*Don’t like grapefruit? Use an orange instead!