Dairy-free, refined sugar-free, hassle-free. This honey zucchini bread is as easy as it gets and helps you sneak in an extra serving of vegetables!
Oh, and did I mention you only need one bowl?
The bread is wonderful right out of the pan, but my favorite way to eat it for breakfast is toasted spread with butter and a drizzle of honey.
Baking with Zucchini
Zucchini is undoubtedly the most popular summer squash and great in so many uses. It is fairly easy to grow, and plentiful. Zucchini-growers are notorious for having extras and finding creative ways to use them.
Baking with zucchini adds extra nutritional value and a great texture to sweet treats. There’s no vegetable taste, so you won’t offend anyone with a sweet tooth. Chances are they wouldn’t even notice the added veggie power.
Many baked zucchini recipes require you to get as much moisture out of the zucchini as possible by wringing it out or letting it rest for a long time. That added step isn’t necessary for this bread, just place the grated squash on a paper towel for a few minutes while getting everything else ready. The natural texture brings extra moisture to the batter.
Making Zucchini Bread
- Place the shredded zucchini on paper towels to reduce any excess moisture.
- Mix together the wet ingredients: oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add the shredded zucchini.
- Place the dry ingredients on top of the wet: flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Mix gently to combine, the batter will be thick.
- Bake and enjoy!
Honey Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup zucchini grated (about 1 small zucchini)
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ⅓ cup honey, plus 2 tablespoons separated
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the grated zucchini on paper towels to soak up extra moisture while preparing other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla. Add the grated zucchini and mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons honey.