This mascarpone mousse looks elegant and sophisticated, but it’s truly easy. Trust me, you can do this. Even better, you can do this in a half hour.
The mousse is light and creamy, which was perfect for a warm spring day. The blueberries include some of my favorite spices: cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, reminding me of a warm blueberry pie . Together it’s so rich and creamy, a small serving will absolutely be enough.
My favorite part about eating out is the inspiration. A few weeks ago we went out to a spur of a moment dinner at a new restaurant, Two Fish. While we were incredibly impressed with the entrees, what really stuck with me was the dessert. Mascarpone mousse with a hint of white chocolate, topped with cooked plums and served in a mason jar. I knew I had try to create my own version of mascarpone mousse.
I had been eyeing up these small glasses from Crate and Barrel for a long time (over a year, I think), and as soon as I knew I was making this mousse, I knew I had the perfect excuse to buy them. The glasses are just about 3 inches tall, and it was the perfect size. I used a piping bag to easily distribute the mousse into the glasses. You could easily do the same by cutting the corner of a Ziploc bag, or just use a spoon.
Mascarpone Mousse with Spiced Blueberries
- 8 oz mascarpone
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 c blueberries
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ginger
- 1/8 tsp. clove
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together mascarpone, cream cheese, 3 tbsp sugar and lemon juice for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, use the whisk attachment to whip together the heavy cream, vanilla, and remaining 1 tbsp sugar about 2 minutes until the cream holds soft peaks.
- Gently fold together the two mixtures until fully combined. Distribute the mousse into small serving bowls and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, cook blueberries, sugar, and spices on medium heat until bubbling and liquid is dark purple. Some blueberries will have burst, about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate blueberry mixture until ready to serve. Spoon blueberry mixture over mousse, and enjoy!