Making homemade hot chocolate is easy and oh-so-tasty. The added twist of hazelnut from the Nutella will make this your favorite hot chocolate, too.
Maybe it’s a pregnancy craving, but hot chocolate has been a nightly occurrence in our house over the last few weeks. This combination includes Nutella so it has a sweet hazelnut flavor that pairs perfectly with chocolate. By making homemade hot chocolate, you get to control the sweetness. I find most hot chocolate mixes to be too sweet, but this combination is perfect.
As we lead into the holiday season, this hot chocolate is a warm and cozy reminder to slow down and enjoy the quiet moments. It’s a time filled with family and lots and lots (and lots and lots) of food.
They’re calling for snow later this week so I know I’ll break out this recipe again in just a few days, post snowball fight.
Originally posted in December 2017. Photography updated in December 2019.
Nutella Hot Chocolate
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons Nutella
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt, Nutella, and half of the milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat it over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until it is hot and smooth.
- Stir in vanilla and serve with your favorite toppings like marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired.