A little glimmer of spring, this orange cardamom bundt cake is light and fluffy with a sweet orange glaze.
On the grossest weekend of the year (Saturday was 50 degrees and rainy, then Sunday was 18 degrees and windy – gross), I decided to do a whole lot of baking. My favorite? This orange cardamom bundt cake, which was our dessert (and my breakfast) throughout the week.
Using yogurt as the base for a moist crumb, this cake is delicate in both texture and in flavor. The sweet orange glaze adds an extra punch of sweetness and flavor.
It’s no secret I’ve been a bit obsessed with cardamom lately. There’s this chai latte ice cream, I have a naturally sweetened chai latte in the works, and I’ve been dreaming of a chai spiced crepe cake (stay tuned on that one)
Orange Cardamom Bundt Cake
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 6 teaspoons fresh-squeezed orange juice (from 1 orange)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a bundt pan, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and cardamom. stir to combine thoroughly, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, milk, and orange juice, set aside.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium until very thick and pale yellow (3 – 5 minutes). Add the melted butter and mix until well combined.
- Add a third of the flour mixture followed by half of the yogurt mixture and stir until combined. Repeat, then end with the flour. Stir until smooth and mix in the vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze by mixing together the confectioners sugar and orange juice until smooth.
- Cool the cake for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Allow the cake to fully cool before drizzling with the glaze.