- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- Serves: 10 people
- Yield: 20 mini scones
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/8 c orange zest (approximately one orange)
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c butter, cold
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c orange zest
- 1/8 c sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and orange zest, set aside
- In a food processor, add flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut butter into 1/2 tablespoon pieces and add to flour mixture. Pulse about 10 times until butter is well integrated in pea-sized balls throughout the mixture.
- Add heavy cream and beaten egg and pulse another 10 times until well combined.
- Pour dough onto work surface and gently press into 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into about 20 small triangles.
- Distribute scones onto parchment paper coated baking sheet and bake 12-15 minutes.
- While the scones bake, use an electric mixer to combine melted butter, orange juice, vanilla, and powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- In a small bowl, mix together orange zest and just enough sugar to lightly coat the test (no more than 1/8 cup).
- When scones have fully cooled, gently cover with glaze and sprinkle orange zest on top.