This quick and easy sheet-pan dinner is packed with healthy veggies and the burst of protein from flavorful turkey meatballs.
Sheet pan dinners are my saving grace on busy evenings or days when I dread spending any more time than necessary standing in the kitchen (like now at 32 weeks pregnant). Chop, toss, mix, roast, done.
In my favorite sheet-pan dinners, all the ingredients should cook in the same amount of time, so you can add everything to the oven and walk away while it cooks. This meal does just that.
Cooking with Turkey
Turkey is a great choice for healthy dinners because it provides a blank canvas to layer in the flavors from Dijon, spices, and herbs. Ground turkey is an inexpensive and easy-to-find base to build lots of flavors, just like in my Ultimate Turkey Chili.
Standard ground turkey is low-cost and most often sold as 93% lean, which means there is only 7% of fat to bind the meatballs together. The egg and breadcrumbs work as an additional binder to keep the meatballs whole without drying them out.
In this recipe, ground turkey could also be substituted for ground beef, chicken, or pork.
How to Make Sheet Pan Meatballs
- Mix: Add all meatball ingredients to a large bowl and mix gently using your hands. Use a kneading motion to combine the ingredients until well-mixed.
- Shape: I recommend using a cookie scoop or small ice cream scoop to make equal-sized balls, then roll them smooth using your hands.
Sheet Pan Turkey Meatballs with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red onions sliced into wedges
- 1 bulb fennel sliced into wedges and fronds reserved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Divide red onion, fennel, and sweet potatoes among two sheet pans and drizzle with olive oil. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Add all meatball ingredients to a bowl and use your hands to combine. Shape into 1-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs on the baking sheets and move the sheet to the oven. Cook until the vegetables can be pierced with a fork and the meatballs are fully cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop the fennel fronds and sprinkle over top before serving.