Smoked trout toasts are my all time favorite appetizer. No exaggeration.
Toasted baguette. Herby cream cheese. Smoked trout. Super simple and super delicious.
Smoked trout sounds a bit exotic, right? It’s one of those great finds that is hiding in plain sight. It’s typically located near the smoked salmon and lox, and I’ve found it at Trader Joe’s, Wegmans, and all the standard grocery stores like Acme and Giant.Print
Smoked Trout Toasts
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chives, sliced thin
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 baguette
- 1 package smoked trout, broken into small pieces
- additional chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, scallions, chives, shallot, and salt.
- Slice the baguette into 1/2 inch rounds and place on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until lightly crispy, 5-8 minutes.
- While still warm, brush both sides of each piece of bread with melted butter.
- Top the toasts with 2 teaspoons of the cream cheese mixture and a few pieces of smoked trout. Garnish with chives and freshly cracked salt and pepper.
Smoked trout toasts are best while the toasts are still warm, but they’re also great at room temperature.
Cream cheese mixture can be made a day in advance.