Nothing feels more like summer than apple pie. A warm, fresh pie with vanilla bean ice cream. (Yes, seriously. None of this plain, low-fat, nonsense. Go for the gold. It’s vanilla bean.)
A little bit of extra spice and a little bit of extra zest. A homemade crust. A winning combination.
This time, I used Gala apples (being that it’s currently early summer) but I hope to try other apples to see how the texture and flavor changes. I’m most excited to try it with Honeycrisp (Dan’s favorite) when apple picking season comes around.
I promise I’ll take pictures of the cut pie next time. This time we were just too excited to eat it.
And I promise it was delicious.Print
Sweet and Spicy Apple Pie
Apple pie with a little bit of extra spice and a little bit of extra zest. A homemade crust. A winning combination.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 apples (I used Gala) – peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 c lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c flour
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. pie spice (I used Penzeys)
- 3 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss cut apples with lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine zest, sugars, flour, and spices. Add spice mixture to apples and toss.
Pour apples into pie crust and top with small pieces of butter.
- Top with remaining pie crust (or lattice crust) and pinch sides closed. Brush top crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with 1 tsp raw sugar. If using a full crust, cut slits in the top to release air
- Bake for 40 minutes until the top is golden brown. Rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with vanilla bean ice cream and/or whipped cream.