A whole lotta goodness is packed into these whole wheat scones.
I love making scones for breakfast, but sometimes I feel guilty. Sweet baked goods are so nice early in the morning, even if they’re not the healthiest option. To make them a bit healthier, I decided to make a version with whole wheat flour. Whole grains = less guilt.
I used Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour, which was hearty without being
We enjoyed these on a Sunday morning with the raspberry jam we bought on our last day in Paris. Aside from the great memories, the fruity and sweet jam was the perfect side to the scones.
Whole Wheat Scones
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 scones 1x
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the heavy cream and vanilla and stir until dough is just combined.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and divide the dough in half. Gently pat each half into a circle about 3/4″ thick.
- Brush each circle with additional heavy cream, and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place the two circles of dough on the baking sheet, and cut each into 6 triangles.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until scones are just starting to brown and are baked through.